I wonder if you have stumbled on Ben Witherington’s contribution to a fun Christmas. I was surprised (especially having enormously appreciated his scholarly commentary on Galatians, Grace in Galatia and read it from cover to cover last summer) to find his hilarious selection of puns. Here are my favourites but many more can be found on www.benwitheringtonblogspot.com (December 07, 2007)
• I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!
• The dead batteries were given out free of charge.
• A backward poet writes inverse.
• In a democracy it’s your vote that counts; in feudalism, it’s your Count that votes.
• You are stuck with your debt if you can’t budge it.
• He had a photographic memory which was never developed.
• Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.
• When she saw her first strands of grey hair, she thought she’d dye.
• Santa’s helpers are subordinate clauses.
HAVE A HAPPY CHRISTMAS